2017 Elections: Leaflets

There is general policy and comms discussion happening in 2017 Elections - Policy comms "strategy", but I thought a thread for actual leaflet design would be good. This is something I had in my mind for the front of a tri-fold A4 design:

I have a reservation about folded leaflets… We’ll have to fold them :slight_smile:

Seriously though, I’m really conscious of time when we don’t have a team of volunteers like the other parties so hours spent folding leaflets fills me with dread.

Also, perhaps we should force ourselves into as concise a leaflet as possible, and push people online?

Other than that, I love what you have already - the whole bit about including what a county council does is brilliant, because people generally don’t understand that well.

I’ve been getting quotes, and the best I have so far is about £150ish for 4000 tri-folded leaflets, just in B&W. So no folding required :slight_smile:

Currently we’ve got 90 quid in the crowdfunder, and 80 in the paypal account, giving us a budget of at least 150 accounting for fees. We’re getting regular donations in, so we can clear out what we have without a problem.

Can you try a couple of local printers, see if you can get similar quotes?

Wow! That’s good, and cheaper than I expected. I need to figure out how many unique addresses are in my division.

Yeah, I’ll get some quotes. What have you been asking for exactly?

I need to figure out how many unique addresses are in my division.

I’m also looking at business cards. 100 square ones are £36 from Moo.

I just filled in a few enquiry forms asking for “4000 tri-folded A4 leaflets”. I got B&W and colour quotes, just in case.

Yes, get some cards, I have some square ones from Moo. Actually I think I need more.

Okay, fired off about 5 e-mails for quotes - let’s see what we get!

2 quotes so far:

Quote the first:

A4 tri-folded : 130gsm gloss : Full colour (STANDARD)
5,000 (cheaper than 4,000 as a standalone job) @ £178
7,500 (cheaper than 6,000 as a standalone job) @ £240
Delivery is free of charge.
NO VAT

Quote the second:

4000 x 6pp DL leaflets printed black throughout on 130gsm silk art paper.
To fold to DL and deliver to one UK address £200.00
6000 x 6pp DL leaflets printed black throughout on 130gsm silk art paper.
To fold to DL and deliver to one UK address £265.00
4000 x 6pp DL leaflets printed full colour throughout on 130gsm silk art
paper. To fold to DL and deliver to one UK address £285.00
6000 x 6pp DL leaflets printed full colour throughout on 130gsm silk art
paper. To fold to DL and deliver to one UK address £335.00

No-one else has gotten back to me, so I think I want to go with the first quote for 5,000 colour leaflets @ £178.

Just need to design the thing now :confused: A friend of mine too a photo of me especially, so I’ll include that.

@Floppy What did you use to design your leaflets last time? I’m completely inexperienced and useless at any sort of graphic design related things.

At the last moment a friend came through and did it in InDesign. We should put the call out on the social medias and the mailing list. It would be good to have a few tasks for people to get involved in around the election - what else could we use? Video production?

Yeah, video production would be good. I’ve been planning to do a basic talking-to-my-phone-camera thing whilst walking around Lichfield to put on my social meejas, but something a bit more professional for general use would be good too.

I’ll do some social media call-outs for graphic design skillz - would you do the mailing list please?

I just did some calculations…

With 5615 properties
taking 30 seconds to deliver each leaflet
means 47 hours to deliver all leaflets
at 2 hours per day will take
23 days
and I have 10 days available to do this until the election

I think this is a key element for fliers/leaflets. Have it too complicated and people won’t read it. The leaflet needs to be able to get the main message across in about 3 seconds.

BTW: I’m Kevin - I’ve offered on Twitter to help designing the Horsham leaflets. I’ve already made a start but will wait to hear back from @Floppy before I carry on. (@Floppy - I also live around the corner from your registered address, so can pop round for a chat at any time!)

Look forward to helping with Something New! Excited to be part of it.

Hi @KevinK! I suspect we be able to print a Horsham leaflet unfortunately, just because of being able to fund both. But we can certainly make one for the website. Ideally we come up with a single design that we can adapt to both easily, so if you’re up for working on that, it would be fantastic. As for popping over, that sounds awesome, I’ll get in touch directly :slight_smile:

Hi Guys, take a look at www.instantprint.co.uk. Prices a lot lower than ones you have. Quality is good and they’re reliable. No folding either. If you want help with decent design let me know.

Oh wow they are! £104 for 5,000 “z-folded” A4 full colour leaflets.

Thanks @TimPerks - your help would be amazing! I have a draft which I’ll refine a bit and send over. Though, i might switch to something smaller…

Oh, brilliant. For that price we can probably do both elections, as well, so why the hell not?

@TimPerks @philipjohn as you’re both in the same area, why don’t you meet up and work on a Lichfield leaflet, and I will meet up with @KevinK to make one for Horsham, then we can compare notes.

I’ll send out an email calling for volunteers to deliver leaflets in both areas.