That title makes this all sound sooooo serious.
Basically, I want to talk about what we’ll be telling people in the 2017 local elections when we’re asking them to vote for us!
Obviously there are local issues that folks will want to highlight, but there’s plenty that applies to any area about our policies that we should try and highlight. Here’s what I’m thinking…
- Councillors must live in the ward they represent (proposal)
- End co-option (proposal)
- Proportional representation
- Votes at 16
Transparency & Accountability
- Online publication of audio/video recordings and transcripts of council meetings and votes within 24 hours
- Publication of all spending
- Public register of councillor connections with companies/charities
- Two constituent surgeries per month
- End Academisation and return state-funded schools to LEAs (proposal)
- End discrimination in education
- Introduce elected student councils in all schools
- Stop using teachers as counter-terrorism police
- Teach kids about money
Crime & Justice
- Abolish PCCs, return oversight to local representatives (proposal)
We should also set up local pages, like the Horsham one for each area where we stand someone.