Membership: Soft Launch

I’m very excited to say that I’m the first official party member of Something New, having signed up with our new membership system at https://somethingnew.org.uk/join.html. That link isn’t linked from the main site yet, so this is a soft launch, but it does work. Please give it a try, and become an official party member :slight_smile:

Once we’ve ironed out the teething problems, we can launch publicly :slight_smile:

Nice, is that using Stripe? I assume that the monthly option renews on the same date each month (so would be the 9th each month, for example)?

J

Yep, that’s right. I’m setting up gocardless as well for direct debit, but that takes a bit of time to verify so will become an option later on.

Note that menbership is free with an optional donation, so please even if you can’t set up a donation, test out the free option so I can make sure it works :slight_smile:

Yayyyy I’m a member now too!

Slight spelling issue in the one confirmation email:

We’ll charge your card ££5.00 automatically every 1; the next time will be on 09/06/17.

I’m guessing we don’t have much choice but it’d be nice to role the three confirmation emails into a single one :slight_smile:

Can people move between non-donor and donor easily?

Personally, I want to be a donor, but I want the payment to go out closer to the end of each month, but I also want to be a member now :slight_smile:
J

I’m going to tick the no fee box for the moment, since, you know, student and all. But good job getting it all set up!

@geeksareforlife I think only by cancelling one subscription and starting another, at the moment at least. I’ll talk to Zoho, see if there’s any way to change a subscription in-flight, as it were…

@philipjohn thanks for spotting those, I’ve fixed them (I think). We’ll see when the next one goes out.

As for the deluge of emails, yeah, it’s a bit much. I’ll take a look through and see if I can reduce it a bit - perhaps we don’t need to explicitly send the invoice now they can download them in the subscription portal.

OK, I think I removed the payment confirmation mail now.

May I say how impressed I am with zoho subscriptions form.

Also signed up as a member ticked no donation while I get my finances sorted out but I want to make a adhoc donations for time being

Thanks @Toby-vc; can you tell me which emails you received upon signup? I changed the settings, so verification of what I did would be helpful :slight_smile:

As for the adhoc donations, that’s a really good point - I still need to provide a route to allow people to do one-off or set up separate donations outside Zoho. Thanks!

I think I’m happy for this to go public now. I’ll start linking it into the website, and @philipjohn perhaps we can send our a mailing list announcement, along with a crowdpac link again? We can confirm the candidates too.

Yes, good idea! I’ll work something up today.

Any objections to me quietly slipping this out for a “public beta” before we do any big announcement, get a bit more testing?

I say quietly, I mean on Twitter.

No objections here! We could do a Facebook post too.

One other comment - if you’re signing up as £0, is there a reason to put card details? It might put some people off?

It’s because Zoho doesn’t have the ability remove it, annoyingly. I’m going to see what I can do, but it might involve creating our own custom signup pages. For now, I’ve added a text warning.