Welcome, disappointed Remain voters

Today has been a huge shock, but we have to start work on fixing it. Our political options are outdated, and we need new choices for the 21st century. If you want to help, just post here with who you are and what you can do, and we’ll work out the way forward from there.

While the economy seems to be going down the toilet already, I think these things are positives that we can latch onto:

• Nicola Sturgeon and Sadiq Khan are teaming up to ensure they’re part of the Brexit negotiations. This is good - as I imagine they’ll fight for staying within the EEA at least, which brings us the benefits of EU membership even if we have no say in those benefits.
  • Nicola Sturgeon has the leverage of threatening Scottish Independence. Whoever becomes Tory leader won’t want to be the one to break up the union.
  • The referendum was not decisive - it was close. It’s also not binding, and as as David Allen Green pointed out, the Article 50 button might never get pressed.
  • We may even, as David suggests, get a different deal from the EU that avoids an actual exit. I think that’s unlikely, but who knows.
  • There’s a chance we’ll have a general election within 12 months, giving us an opportunity to try and replace the Tories with something progressive. Paul Mason’s plan is interesting, if ambitious.

Think we need to start enshrining the best parts of EU regulations into British law. All the protections for workers, for our fish stocks, for energy efficient appliances etc etc. There’s no reason a pro-EU government, couldn’t shamelessly copy and paste each new piece of EU regulation to ensure we remain compliant and in sync with them.

We also need a constitution to protect ourselves from an over-mighty government.

I hope the EU will now be able to forge ahead at full speed towards economic and political integration unhindered by UK applying veto. Let’s see what it can do once all the compromises stop.

1 Like